|Posted by thethousandmarch on April 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM|
We had our first service last Sunday night. We didn't really remind anyone about it, so it was only Jessi, Ian, Cosette and I. That was alright, because it gave us a chance to run through what for us is a very new way of doing a church service. It went great. Here is our order of service.
• Opening Prayer: Asking for the Father’s blessing, the presence of the Spirit, and growth in maturity as followers of Jesus
• Call to Worship: Leader: 1 Chron 16: 29 ascribe to the LORD the glory due to his name. Bring an offering and come before him; worship the LORD in the splendour of his holiness. 30 Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved. 31 Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let them say among the nations, "The LORD reigns!" 32 Let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them! 33 Then the trees of the forest will sing, they will sing for joy before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth. 34 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
• Song of Adoration: Oh How Marvelous
• Song of praise: Nothing But the Blood of Jesus
• Reading of Scripture: Psalm 23, John 10:11-18
• Response to reading - All: “Thanks be to God”
• Prayers of the people:
Leader: Let us pray for Christ’s Church and the world.
• Affirmation of Belief – Apostles’ Creed:
All: I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth; And in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, Born of the Virgin Mary, Suffered under Pontius Pilate, Was crucified, dead and buried; He descended into hell; The third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, and sits on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; From there He shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy universal church, The communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; The resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
• Song of praise: There is a Redeemer
• Sermon: 1 John 3:16-24
• Confession of Sin
All: Gracious God, our sins are too heavy to carry, too real to hide, and too deep to undo. Forgive what our lips tremble to name, what our hearts can no longer bear, and what has become for us a consuming fire of judgment. Set us free from a past that we cannot change; open to us a future in which we can be changed; and grant us grace to grow more and more in your likeness and image; through Jesus Christ, the light of the world. (Silence for personal prayer and reflection.)
• Leader reads communion passage (The Book of Common Prayer)
• Lord’s Prayer:
Leader: And now, as our Savior Christ taught us, we are bold to say,
All: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
• Breaking of the Bread (The Book of Common Prayer)
• Distribution of the elements (The Book of Common Prayer)
• Prayer of gratitude (The Book of Common Prayer)
• Assurance of Forgiveness:
Leader: Anyone who sins has an advocate with God: Jesus Christ, the righteous one. By his life, death, and resurrection, he has found the lost sheep and brings it back, rejoicing over one sinner that repents. In Jesus, we are never beyond the reach of God’s love. And so today, in the name of Jesus, I proclaim to all of you who believe the Gospel: In Jesus your sins are forgiven! Receive the Good News!
• Song of thanks: Amazing Grace
Leader: In the Name of the Father, the Love of Jesus and the Power of the Holy Spirit, go forth into the world as people of hope and servants of the Gospel and all those who need it.
• Sending of the Community:
Leader: Go in peace to love and serve the Lord
All: Thanks be to God.